Maple-Barbecue Pork Meatballs
These meatballs are ridiculously versatile. You could pile them on rice or couscous or quinoa with a few extra spoonfuls of barbecue sauce for an easy and different weeknight dinner.
Serves 6 (makes about 42 small meatballs)
- Canola or vegetable oil, for oiling the pan
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, plus more for dipping if you like
- 1/2 cup grated peeled apple
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Kosher or coarse salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Combine the bread crumbs, barbecue sauce, apple, onion, egg, and salt in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir to blend. Add the pork and combine well using your hands, but try not to squeeze the mixture too much. Form 1-inch-round meatballs and place them on the baking sheet.
3. Bake the meatballs until cooked through, 16 to 20 minutes. Serve hot, with extra barbecue sauce on the side.
Photo and Recipe Credit: Katie Workman, author of Dinner Solved!